Sunday, April 6, 2008

so effortless...the rise and fall...

I'm so hyped on the fact that I think I've officially converted one of my non-hater friends into something that resembles a hater.

Case in point...my good friend...who will go un-named...mentioned that a few people spent the night at his apartment after a party this weekend. One of those people was a girl he formerly thought was kind of cool. Today he recounted that she kind of sucks. My response was of course, "Duh" - but I'm pretty excited that he thinks so too. Keep in mind, I don't personally know this girl. I see her out occasionally; she hangs with a pretty "hip" crowd and we frequent a few of the same establishments and DP/APs. From what I can tell she thinks she's pretty cool based on the boyfriend she currently has and his street cred *(which is minimal while at the same time blowing up) is somehow affecting her status. Wack.

His commentary led to an entire discussion amongst friends about hip crews. For the most part, all hip crews of any sort (bikers, artists, skaters, musicians, designers, dance party kids, bloggers, djs) are all generally quite lame. While I (actually we all) are somehow tied into at least one *if not all* of those groups, we seem to have a general distaste for the actual status and bogus bullshit associated with actually caring about that. Maybe that makes us a hipster crew? Probably. A crew that hates hipster crews? Fuck! We did some serious shit talking on a lot of people that I don't even know...but I know because of their fucking status. It was so true. I fully take responsibility for perpetuating status...but at least I also do my part to tear it down. We also got to talking about other city's hipster status and we came to some interesting conclusions.
  1. You can't avoid hipster crews...they are everywhere
  2. Minneapolis really isn't that bad in the grand scheme (think NYC, the Chi, the Bay)
  3. NYC hipsters are beyond hip
  4. Chicago hipsters are all rich kids pretending to live on coin
  5. MPLS hipsters think it's really fucking cool to be hipsters
  6. Conclusion I love best. Almost all of these are on wordpress or blogspot sites. Fuck yea!

premiums. pbr. frozen pizza.

"this is why I didn't drink for 27 years."
plums + tie dye...so cool

posed out...or are we?

gurillaz

cool kidz

slam it

you don't know me.

2 comments:

Mr. Gerbik said...

Bajas will be so hot in a year.

Extreme Ash said...

keep dreaming. I blame sam for encouraging this.