Monday, April 21, 2008

I Am Not Sophie...I Will Not Make a Choice




I officially hate the Minneapolis versus Saint Paul feud. Both cities are equally as awesome (in my opinion). I currently live in Saint Paul but grew up in Minneapolis (best of both worlds?). What I love about these "twin cities" is that I keep discovering new neighborhoods. I do a lot of estate sale-ing and garage sale-ing which brings me to new neighborhoods fairly regularly. Just when I think I've go this metropolitan area figured out it surprises me (suburbs included). Yesterday I strolled through a million dollar mansion on lake Minnetonka, a $320,000 shit hole in Linden Hills, the home of two profs. near Snelling and Selby, and an apartment in Richfield. The lives that people live and leave behind in these two cities is amazing. Maybe the peeps are what make this place so special.


Downtown Saint Paul has beautiful bluffs and caves while downtown Minneapolis is bolstering with commerce while both showcase the remnants of a once agriculture based industry. It's beautiful when it snows, it's beautiful when it's sunny, it's especially beautiful when it storms (as it is doing right now). Wherever I go and whatever I do I will take with me the view of downtown Saint Paul from metropolitan state university (near Dayton's Bluff and Swede Hollow-check these areas out!).


The diverse neighborhoods in the twin cities never ceases to amaze me. In every nook and cranny there is something special happening. I can't choose which one I like better. I don't think that you should either. Lets end this rift! I am sick of people treating me like I live in some sort of foreign country...I am no more than 20 minutes away from most things (maybe 25). That's how long it takes to drive from downtown to uptown on Hennepin!


Each city deserves respect. Holler for the united Twin Cities.

3 comments:

Extreme Ash said...

HOLLA HOLLA HOLLA! As a former resident of St. Paul and a current resident of a transient lifestyle I can appreciate both cities have to offer. I've lived near frogtown, on university by porkys, in NordEast, in Marcy Park, in St. Anthony Main...I'm just saying...they've all been amazing in their own right.

Munzenrider said...

I know that while the very first line of your post included the word "hate," its apparent to me that you actually posted a "love" post. Good for you. It's good to throw a little bit more party out there now and then. I've got love for all the places that Extreme is down with, by association, as well as the fine old Como neighborhood of 1072 lore and the ever teenager infested Highland Park area too.

Extreme Ash said...

1072 and Highland Park almost made my list by association as well...
Como has Joe's...and Highland has too much to list...if only the could do something about that teenagers infestation.