Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Maybe We Don't Know Shit. So What?

I recently posted about a seemingly local website whose sole purpose is to spread dissent regarding global warming, and climate change, and so on. Even in a hating setting I tried to be, and maybe quoting, fair and balanced, but in this age of Real Talk, one must ask, who actually thinks human induced climate change is fiction? Seriously.

This Slate article highlights the American style of paranoia concerning science. It's a good read, in that, by the second installment, it does reach for an air of fair and balanced by calling, in my words, the good guys, guilty of the same thing that the "bad guys" are attempting and succeeding at.

I've taken to watching C-Span lately, and I watched a program with a speaker who talked about America's general lack of knowledge of how science actually works, and this plays into the idea of "scientific paranoia" quite well, because this lack of know-how just spreads the skepticism that basically flies in the face of what science actually does.

I'm stringing many things together here, and may not know how to untie everything, so I'll just end with a couple of questions that are completely not hypothetical.

-How does God (or god) continue to exist?

-Do people really think, whether they have vested interests or not, that humans are not contributing to climate change?

-Bordering on a rant, how can evolution be held as a theory in the popular concept of the definition of that word, in that, it's a non-conclusive idea? If one were to ask me, which you just did, I would say that the simple fact that life exists without a god is far more astounding than if it does. But that's just me.

-With respect to Bowie, is there life on Mars?

I'm of the opinion that, while not infallible, science should be taken as it is, unless you're a scientist and smart enough to come up with something reasonable that says otherwise. It seems that, as it has been throughout it's history, science will always be under attack by people whose interests lie in science being disproven.

Edit: An aside for creationists with a dogged reasoning.

6 comments:

EverythingEverything23 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EverythingEverything23 said...

I'm so tired of people trying to downplay global warming. It's seems like most people who weigh in on the issue, be it either for or against the existence of global warming, haven't taken the time to be truly informed. Like I give a fuck what Brad Pitt thinks about global warming. I want to know what people in a position to evoke change think about global warming. Moreover, even if global warming weren't real, or not as severe as we fear it to be, would it be so bad to conserve energy and develop technologies that are efficient and eco-friendly?

bona roba said...

Wether you believe in global warming or not I think you have to ask yourself how much control your willing to let corporations and the governmnet have over your future (more importantly,your children's future). There seems to be this idea that corporations and the government work in our best interest. There are incredible human rights violations and environmental degradations happening in the name of capitalism. I think that it's clear that we are rapidly using all of our natural resources and polluting our habitat. The major offenders (Monsanto, ADM, Cargill, Coca-Cola, etc..) get off basically scott free while raking in outrageaous profits. Do we really want to trust our health to these companies? Shouldn't the government be on the side of the people not on the side of the corporations?

If god does exists we'd all be sinning every single day with out even knowing it. Everytime I drink a coke I am supporting a company that steals water and lets many go thirsty. Everytime I eat a hamburger I am supporting a company that is draining our top soil of nutrients through mono-cropping. Everytime I go to work I am contributing to the depletion of the ozone, air pollution, over consumption, garbage, food waste, animal cruelty, the list goes on.

Maybe Nietzche is right.

Extreme Ash said...

Strong points made by all...but I'd like to state I'm not won over by the "do it for your children's future" theory for a few reasons.
1) I don't have children
2) I am not planning on having children
3) I like children, but I hate teenagers...so that makes me even more apathetic
I do, however, respect "the future" in general and the earth, and other human beings (besides teenagers). Shouldn't it be good enough to state, "Do it because your a good person/human being/creature and this is your habitat." It is not hard to be a more conscientious consumer...at all. I know...I know...most people are a-holes and that's not good enough for them.

bona roba said...

I also do not like the "do if for the children" reasoning but for some reason thinking about children inspires people. I am more inspired by the fact that my own personal life would suck if there was no water, or it was hot all the time, or if I had to wear one of those stupid hello kitty face masks.

hey Ash....remember when we were teenagers? When I was a teenager I thought 24 was really old.

Mr. Gerbik said...

For the record, I remember a certain girl who stated that she wanted her first child when she was 27...Not to cheapen the real talk phenomena, but...

It's less the children and more a question of general morality, and I'm talking the god-less morality that I feel. Being as environmentally friendly as one can is simply the right thing to do. We know this intuitively. I try to act on it, though I'm not always the best at doing so. So is goes.