Thursday, April 10, 2008

Only if she's 5'3"

I'm short. 5 feet and 2, maybe 3 inches in shoes. In my tallest heels I'm 5'6" - an additional four inches and I'm barely at average height.

I also love live music. See the problem? Or if me, you don't see...because all the the giants in the room decided that they needed to creep two inches closer to the stage (and directly in front of me). Seriously! Seriously?

I had the immense, enormous, mind-blowing pleasure of going to 7th St. last night after work and check out Themes...a local band that was pretty well put together, and Fleet Foxes, a band that was so amazingly good live I'm still thinking about it. They are on tour with the uber hip Blitzen Trapper right now, and though I like BT - I did something I've never done. I left the show before the a band I like came on - simply because I knew it could not possibly be as good as what I had just experienced. We walked out and chatted with a Casey & Christian (of FF) and they were totally enjoyable human beings as well as musicians. Watch this.

But I digress, this is a hater blog...not a "Fleet Foxes are amazing and you're an idiot if you don't think so too" blog.

I love going to shows, it is a simple pleasure in an immensly complicated life. What I do not like are smelly people, pushy people, tall people, people with big boots standing on my feet, or people who sing along really loudly to the music. They can all go to hell. Or to another show. Leave me and my music experience alone - I don't want to share. I also hate the people that are so determined not to let others through the crowd that they actually start to push and fight them. If other people want to get closer to the front and you don't want to be at the front - don't be a dick.

I know that last statement sounds like a contradiction to my previous complaint of tall people going in front of me - but I will argue it is not. People getting to "the front" are not the same as people who literally walk to the x on the floor marked right in front of you. They can see how short I am and they still do it!

Anyway. If you see me at a show come up, say hello, we'll grab a drink. Just don't get in my mutha fuckin way bitch. And please don't sing along. I'm not here for you. I'm here for me.

7 comments:

EverythingEverything23 said...

I hear you, sister-friend. Most memories I have of live shows are the summation of scant glimpses of the stage from behind some jag-off's fat head. And I'm 5'9"! There needs to be some institutionalized tiering system at live shows. If tall people stand at the back, and shortys are at the front, everybody gets an unobstructed view. I pay good money to see the band, not some greasy-ass, dandruff-peppered melon.

cynthia said...

I agree!

I was thinking about going to that show last night. I definitely blew it. I will catch you this weekend, I hope.

bona roba said...

I can't go to shows with out having panic attacks. I only go to concerts where I am guarenteed to have a seat and thus have bought my own personal space.

p.s. being short sucks at shows but in general short people are generally regaurded as being "cuter" and more "feminine" than tall people. Being tall sucks.

Extreme Ash said...

cynth...so glad we did meet up this weekend. love(antonym)...at least when you're tall pants fit. I haven't bought a pair of jean in 10 years that actually fit.
everythingeverything...word.

Extreme Ash said...

that should says jeans. not jean.
sucking today.

bona roba said...

I guess if you like "high waters"

G$ said...

Dude, I am right there with you with the singing along stuff. I wanted to punch this girl in the face @ a show cause she was singing so loud I couldn't hear the artist. I got so annoyed that I told her I came to hear the singer not her and she just rolled her eyes and kept singing! That's o.k., she looked like a poodle. ;)