Monday, February 25, 2008

Prepare Yourselves for the Rubber Band Man's Jam

So, today I am sick of Hating. Seems insane right? When something is so much a part of who you are how do you get sick of it? Well, deal with it. I am more interested in giving props to a certain consumer driven phenomenon that is hated on by most other people. Yes, I am putting myself in a hate minority. Before you start pummeling me with rotten tomato's hear a sister out.
If Fruit Wasn't Delicious Enough
I fucking love infomercials! I was watching SNL this weekend (and it was actually funny) drinking vanilla flavored coke zero with Bacardi limon. By the time SNL was over I was all tuned up....there was no going to bed insight. Then...my favorite infomercial came on. I know what your thinking,"I didn't know they still show the infomercial for the Ronco food dehydrator". Your thinking is correct..sadly I have not seen that particular infomercial in years. I would give anything to see that dude spray on his hair while making banana chips. That shit was off the hook. It was mega dope 3.0. It was baller shot caller hot like whoa.

p.s. don't buy a food dehydrator...it will burn down your home.
Hot Shit
Anyway, the informercial that is my all time favorite is for the Midnight Special. This exquisite piece of advertising artistry is put on by Guthy Renker. The Midnight Special is a series of musical and comedy performances from the seventies. Live footage of such peeps as Blondie, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Donna Summer, Heart, David Bowie, etc.... I could watch this infomercial over and over again...in fact....I have. The best part of it all; there are no comercials!!!!!!! This infomercial also introduced me to my current favorite song, "Rubber Band Man" by the Spinners. Check that shit out on Youtube or download it (legally of course). There is no way in hell you will regret it...in fact...you can thank me if you want. (They actually dance with giant rubber bands)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce8nfWyX7P4










Anyway, the irony of it all is that as long as the infomercial exists I don't need to actually purchase this product. And I assume that it is all on youtube anyway. Doesn't technology save us sooo much money.......




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah Dude. I've had similar experiences with the Midnight Special awesomercial; staying up late and maybe getting a little buzzed, and then it starts, and it's mezmerization. It lead me to watch every ELO Midnight Special performance I could find on that 'tube.