Friday, March 21, 2008

Passwords...and other pointless measures of security

Why do we utilize passwords?  One might say to make us feel safe, secure, or protected.  All I know is that this week passwords, codes, combinations and all other alph-numeric mindfucks have been the bane of my existence.  

Bike lock?  No clue.
New cell phone voicemail?  No clue.  I swear this is the same as my personal phone - but no.
EMD? (crucial website for new job) I had a password.  It worked.  Ten minutes later it didn't.  According to the Help Desk this was my fault.  
Extranet?  (also job related).  Again - I was actually logged into this all day yesterday.  Today?  Password & email address do not match our records.
MSN?  I was able to download it.  It installed.  I uploaded a user ID and password and it won't open.

For just a moment can we drop all this hyper-sensitive fear mongering bullshit and just give access to everything to me?  That's not a problem...right?  I mean, seriously - there are no security risks associated with all access.  I'm totally trustworthy.

No comments: