Friday, May 15, 2009

Slumdog Depression

I loved the movie Slumdog Millionaire. It was a lovely film; the story was sweet, the shots were beautiful, and the music was moving...two thumbs up for Danny Boyle. As a matter of fact, I bought it the other day and was planning on watching it tonight after work.

Unfortunately there have been a number of stories circulating about the film's two youngest actors, and the mistreatment they've been receiving. I remember hearing something in the press right after the film won 8 Oscars, about how the children were given bonuses for their work. I don't remember (and I haven't looked) to see what they were fully compensated, but I do know that the producers set up trust funds for the children as well (hoping the money wouldn't be abused or extorted).



Here are a couple links about some of their most recent hardships:






You might be wondering why I'm posting about this, why should you care, why should you read these stories...is this just a part of my hollywood gossip obsession?

You should read about this because as human beings on this planet it is our obligation to look at the things that are wrong out there and do something about them. I don't know what the exchange rate of the dollar to rupee is - but I bet you that I could personally make a difference in the lives of these children (if I knew how to get in touch with them). I know that I won't do anything - and that actually makes me feel terrible...but I feel a little bit better; and I don't know why, for sharing this. Like - if people turn a blind eye and only look at the pretty outcome then none of these things are happening. I just feel like people should know they're happening.

Maybe someone else knows how to actually do something about it that's meaningful.

No comments: